Monday, January 25, 2010

First day of school!

Today i went to school for the first time.. and it was very different!
I was soo nervous and scared and had no idea what to expect. Rolf my counsellor picked me up at 9.00am and drove me to the school. We then met with the vice-principal and she told me that i had been enrolled in the first year, science program.. which for those of you who know me well.. will know that i really really dont enjoy science (or are that good at it) So this program has subjects like, maths, chemistry, physics, german, swedish, history. All of which, have very small, if any appeal to me.. so already feeling a little bit nervous... this made me feel 100 billion more times nervous... i have never studied physics or chemistry in english, let alone swedish!! In this program you have a choice of learning french, spanish or german.. seeing as i did learn very basic german a few years ago.. i thought this would be the safest option.. the only problem is.. basically my german knowledge i already have is very bad, and my swedish is even worse.. so in a lesson that is trying to teach german in swedish.. is quite hard! i have enough trouble with one of those languages!!
I also had a maths lesson today.. In Australia the maths i did, was maths apps. ( so like business maths) but in this maths lesson, it was all algebra and factorising.. yuck! i didnt really understand much at all.. at least i could recognise the numbers though ;)
I also had a lesson of Swedish.. which i understood nothing at all...
and in the morning when i first arrived, i had the last half a lesson of art, which was good and i enjoyed more.
Lunchtime was crazy aswell, very different to school lunch times at lameroo! Lunch is free at the school and they have a kitchen where they cook it for all the students.. it is like an american high school movie... there is a big cafeteria and everybody grabs a plate and takes what food they want.. there was fish today and then vegetables and salad.
The people in my class were very friendly and i didnt have to be a loner.. and eat my lunch in the toilets or anything ;)
Its a bit confusing finding my way around the school though, there are three levels.. so a lot more stairs than at Lameroo!
Tomorrow i start school at 8.30am and have to catch the bus at 7.40am. but then i will be finished by 1.00pm
I really hope i begin to pick up swedish soon, because it is really weird sitting through lessons, and not having a single clue of what is happening!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deni... the science program sounds difficult.. but hopefully you will have more art! the free lunch sounds good. do they eat alot of fish in sweden? how is your host family's english? don't worry if you are not learning yet... wow it will prob take months and months... how exciting though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol that sounds heaps fun, school starts onn monday for me which is gogin to be a great experience. i (and all the other students) have to do 11 or 12 subjects or something ridiculous. i mean every subject is complusory. But I hope you´re having as much fun as i am deni!! XD

    ReplyDelete